From time to time I find myself in a situation where I crave the melted goodness that is nacho cheese, but my supplies are totally dry and the grocery store is closed or I’ve had one too many glasses of wine to drive.
When faced with utterly desperate moments like this, I often turn to the following recipe which I’ve dubbed, “In a Pinch Nacho Cheese with Kraft singles.”
This recipe is based on some simple ingredients found in most homes.
‘In a Pinch’ Nacho Cheese with Kraft Singles
- 3/4 cup milk
- 7-10 individual slices of American cheese (start with 7, add one-by-one till desired consistency)
- 1 tbs butter (or a tad more)
- 1 tbs all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Lowry’s Seasoned Salt (or regular salt if not available)
- Use a small/ medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Melt the butter and stir in flour.
- Add the 3/4 cup of milk into saucepan. Stirring regularly, let mixture thicken for a few minutes (but don’t bring to a boil).
- Gently place individual sliced American cheese into saucepan with milk (I use Kraft Singles).
- Sprinkle in the salt.
- Stir regularly for 2-5 minutes or until mixture has a saucy consistency.
- Serve, eat and enjoy.
Note: Above are the bare minimum ingredients. Depending on what’s
available in your kitchen (and based on my experience) you may want to
consider adding the following optional ingredients.
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (adds spice)
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese or 1-2 slices of cheddar cheese